TRANSITIVE AND INTRANSITIVE VERBS



TRANSITIVE VERB

             Is a  verb which has an object

Examples
      They speak English.
      I like it.

TRANSITIVE VERB :TWO OBJECTS

The indirect object should be placed before the direct object 

                                 BUT

 direct objects may also be placed before indirect,if the verb is used with preposition.

EXAMPLES WITHOUT PREPOSITION


  I shall find you a job.
  They booked me a ticket.
  I built her a house.
  Husna cooked them a nice meal.


EXAMPLES WITH PREPOSITION
  
  I shall find a job for you.
  They booked a ticket for me.
   I built a house for her.
  Husna cooked a nice meal to them.

                  INTRANSITIVE VERB

Is a verb with no object.


Examples
   
   I slept very well.
   I walked to the theatre.
   The ship sank suddenly.


 SAME VERB : TRANSITIVE AND INTRANSITIVE USE

  INTRANSITIVE USE

   The man stopped suddenly.
   They spoke loudly .
   The film begins at 12

TRANSITIVE USE

   He stopped the car.
   She spoke the truth.
   She began her work.

INTRANSITIVE VERB : PREPOSITION

   Intransitive verb may be turned into transitive verb,if a preposition is used.

Examples
   
  She laughed at him.
  We talked about the film.
   I have asked for permission


VERB OF INCOMPLETE PREDICATION
   Is a verb which require the help of other words to complete its meaning.


Examples

   He is a teacher.
   She appears beautiful.
   My sister looked unhappy. 
   The sky grew cloudy



                   Written and prepared by

               Salum Shakespeare



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PERSONAL PRONOUNS

POSSESSIVE ADJECTIVES

PERSONAL PRONOUNS